Thanks to Cebu Pacific’s 50% sale last November 1, 2010, I was able to book 5 tickets (4 adults and 1 child) for Hong Kong
for March 2-6, 2011. Originally the fare is Php2,800+ per head but since there are other taxes like web admin fee, HK taxes etc. the total cost per head became Php3,500. Still pretty cheap compared to PAL’s.
With the ticket and travel date set, I started doing my research. Good thing there’s the Hong Kong
for Dummies Thread in PinoyExchange. Reading the first page alone gave me all the information I need to know about Hong Kong
Another useful tool is this interactive HK MTR map
. Fares may not be accurate/updated but at least you’ll get an idea on the cost and travel time from Point A to Point B. This also came in handy when choosing which attractions to put in a single day.
The tedious part was looking for accommodation. Our primary considerations are cost, location and cleanliness. My first choice was Taisan Harilela branch since this is recommended by PExers and they say this is the newest branch among three branches so the facilities are better.
When I first emailed Ken of Taisan, he said there are no more rooms available for the type I chose so I looked around for 10 or more hostels LOL until I decided to give Ate Yolly (Taisan Burlington) a call. That’s when I found out that they still have rooms available for the dates I chose. To cut the story short, I ended up with my first choice (although not the Harilela branch) and a couple of weeks later I paid the deposit of HKD500 through PayPal.
Then I finally proceeded with creating our Hong Kong-Macau itinerary.
Day 1 (Wednesday), March 2: TST, Nan Lian Garden
- Arrival at HKIA
- Clear immigration, buy Octopus card at Customer Service Counter
- Take A21 bus to Taisan (alight at 13th stop), pay balance and leave things at Taisan
- Change USD to HKD at Wing Hoi Money Changer*
- Stroll around TST** (Avenue of Stars, Clock Tower, Heritage 1881)
- Nan Lian Garden
- Symphony of Lights**
- Free time (go back to hostel or go to night market)
Day 2 (Thursday), March 3: Ngong Ping, Disneyland
- Take MTR to Tung Chung
- Stroll around Citygate, buy tickets for cable car
- Ngong Ping 360, Tian Tan Buddha
- Shopping in Citygate, lunch
- MTR to Disneyland
Day 3 (Friday), March 4: Macau
- Ferry from TST to Macau
- Fisherman’s Wharf, Venetian, City of Dreams (Dragon’s Treasure show at The Bubble), Senado Square, Ruins of St. Paul, Grand Lisboa, Wynn (Tree of Prosperity, Dragon Show, Performance Lake)
- Ferry from Macau to TST
Day 4 (Saturday), March 5: Ocean Park, The Peak
- Ocean Park
- The Peak
- Star Ferry from Central to TST***
- Night Market
Day 5 (Sunday), March 6
Hong Kong to Manila, ETD: 0825, ETA: 1025
*Wing Hoi – 9B, Ground Floor, inside Mirador Mansion, 58 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon (walking distance from Taisan Burlington branch)
Average rate: 7.7HKD +/- a few cents for 1USD
**Ironically we were not able to go around these places within TST
***took MTR from Central back to TST instead